Farnaz Zamani Esfahlani
I am a postdoctoral researcher in Brain Networks and Behavior Lab at Indiana University--Bloomington. I am interested in studying the anatomical and functional properties of human brain networks in healthy and clinical populations.
fzamani at iu dot edu
- Ph.D. in Systems Science, State University of New York (SUNY) at Binghamton, Binghamton, United States (2018)
- Advanced Graduate Certificate in Complex Systems Science and Engineering (2015)
- M.S. in Biomedical Engineering, State University of New York (SUNY) at Binghamton, Binghamton, United States (2015)
- B.A. in Clinical Psychology, University of Tabriz, Tabriz, Iran (2012)
- Zamani Esfahlani, F., Faskowitz, J., Slack, J., Misic, B., \& Betzel, R.F. (2021). Local structure-function relationships in human brain networks across the human lifespan. Available in bioRxiv.
- Zamani Esfahlani, F., Jo, Y., Faskowitz, J., Byrge, L., Kennedy, D. P., Sporns, O., & Betzel, R. F. (2020). High-amplitude cofluctuations in cortical activity drive functional connectivity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 117(45), 28393-28401.
- Faskowitz, J., Zamani Esfahlani, F., Jo, Y., Sporns, O., & Betzel, R. F. (2020). Edge-centric functional network representations of human cerebral cortex reveal overlapping system-level architecture. Nature neuroscience, 23(12), 1644-1654.
- Jo, Y., Zamani Esfahlani, F., Faskowitz, J., Chumin, E., Sporns, O., & Betzel, R. (2020). The diversity and multiplexity of edge communities within and between brain systems. Cell Reports.
- Zamani Esfahlani, F., Bertolero, M. A., Bassett, D. S., & Betzel, R. F. (2020). Space-independent community and hub structure of functional brain networks. NeuroImage, 211, 116612.
- Betzel, R. F., Byrge, L., Zamani Esfahlani, F., & Kennedy, D. P. (2020). Temporal fluctuations in the brain’s modular architecture during movie-watching. Neuroimage, 213, 116687.
- Strauss, G., Zamani Esfahlani, F., Kirkpatrick, B., Allen, D., Visser, K., Gold, J., & Sayama, H. Network analysis reveals which negative symptom domains are most central in schizophrenia versus bipolar disorder, Schizophrenia Bulletin.
- Strauss, G., Zamani Esfahlani, F., Visser, K., Dickinson, E., Gruber, J., & Sayama, H . Mathematical Modeling Emotion Regulation Abnormalities During Psychotic Experiences in Schizophrenia, Clinical Psychological Science.
- Zamani Esfahlani, F., Visser, K.,Strauss, G., Sayama, H. A Network Based Classification Framework to Predict Treatment Response of Schizophrenia Patients. Expert Systems with Applications, 2018.
- Visser, K., Zamani Esfahlani, F., Sayama, H., and Strauss, G., An Ecological Momentary Assessment Evaluation of Emotion Regulation Abnormalities in Schizophrenia, Psychological Medicine, 2018.
- Zamani Esfahlani, F., Sayama, H., Visser, K, Strauss, G. Sensitivity of the Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale to Detecting Treatment Effects via Network Analysis, Innovations in Clinical Neuroscience, 2017.
Dynamics of Functional Brain Networks
Functional brain networks change in a fast time scale. I use our recently proposed "edge-centric" approach to study the dynamics of functional brain networks. I am specifically interested in studying the relevance of high-amplitude cofluctuations among brain regions with cognition and behavior.
Structure-Function Relationships in Human Brain Networks
Anatomical brain networks shape functional connectivity between brain regions. I am interested in examining the heterogeneity of structure-function relationships across cerebral cortex.